Sunday, December 7, 2014

Chikunguna-I don't plan on going back to Taga anytime soon

Malo Soifua Aiga!

Well this week has been....long haha. I really only have one story so here I go:

On Tuesday we had a split with the Elders in Taga. 

Taga is a village on the island of Savai'i in Samoa. It is situated on the south east coast of the island in the district of Palauli.[1]
The population is 753 (2006 Census).[2]

I went to Taga and it was cool because I got to split with Elder Afuvai from my intake. He's the man and it was a good split. 

But the next morning was brutal. So you have an idea...I'm pretty sure mosquitos originate from the village of Taga. There are so many!!!!! 
Well, in the middle of the night my mosquito net blew over from the wind. I woke up to at least 15 mosquitos in my net and a body covered in a rash... I called the mission nurse and told her my symptoms: rash, sore wrists and ankles, migraine, fever, aching body. She told me that I had Chikunguna-- a disease only transmitted by the namu.


Chikunguna Rash

She then said that because I was on Savaii she couldn't really do anything so to just drink a lot of water, rest , and wait it out. So yeah that's been the past 4 days. I'm getting better but still pretty itchy. Haha I was dying on Sunday because I went to sacrament meeting, and everyone asked my sickness. I told them and they all started laughing because no one in my village gets the sickness...
I don't plan on going back to Taga any time soon...Haha
Well, that really is it this week, couldn't really go out. 

On the plus side, I've had a lot of cool things to do out here.  I tried a star fruit the other day. that was a first.  It was good!  It tasted like a sour green apple.  



Haven't eaten dog yet, but I feel it coming soon.  There is a Tongan Elder in our zone who eats them all of the time.  Dogs are like pigs in Tonga, so he loves them.  We are pretty close friends and he always says he's going to cook one for a zone p-day. Its a different world out here.

The cool thing about Samoa is that it's a developing country, but no one ever goes really hungry. They have so many natural resources here and they use all of them.  Especially the coconut.  

Pretty cool how many uses it has.  The husk  can be used as kindling. You drink the coconut water and it is full of nutrients. You eat the coconut meat inside as a tasty snack. You can grind up the inside to feed pigs/chickens or you can use it to squeeze out coconut milk to use for sauces.  Pretty cool. 

All is good though. Man I miss the Holiday stuff. Seriously I'd love to hear an original Christmas song. Every song here is just like the rest of them. Heavy Bass, reggae up beat, and a Samoan singing with a T-Pain voice....it sucks... 

I miss you all and can't wait to call on Christmas!!!
Alofa Atu,
Elder Hunter S.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment